We love this recipe because it uses minimal ingredients, is gluten and dairy free and a great way to feed the family.
1 large brown onion, finely diced
2 sticks celery, finely diced
2.5 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
4 red Romano peppers, deseeded and diced into 1-2 cm cubes
2L vegetable or chicken stock (may need extra), keep warm on a low simmer
2 x 160g tins canned tuna in olive oil, drained
1 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pot. Sauté the onion and celery on a low heat until translucent and very soft. If needed add additional olive oil to avoid burning.
- In a separate fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the red pepper until soft. Once cooked set aside.
- Once the onion and celery are cooked through, add the rice and stir over a medium heat for 1 minute to coat all the rice. Add the white wine and cook over a low heat until the liquid is absorbed.
- Gradually add the warmed stock, 1-2 ladles at a time, allowing the rice to cook and absorb the liquid. Stir intermittently to avoid the rice sticking to the bottom of the pot. This will take around 20-25 minutes (or check your rice packet instructions).
- Once the rice is cooked add in the red pepper, peas and tuna. Stir over a medium heat for a few minutes until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.