We love wild rice and we love buckwheat, so why not combine them for a healthy summer salad!
250g mixed wild and basmati rice
125g roasted buckwheat (kasha)
1 lemon, skin peeled and juiced
130mls olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
100g dried cranberries
100g hazelnuts, roasted and halved
5 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp sea salt
Large handful parsley, roughly chopped
Large handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
2 cups rocket leaves, washed
- Bring a medium pot of water to the boil, add the rice and boil gently for 35-40 minutes (or as per packet instructions). Rinse under cold water and leave to drain.
- In another small pan, bring 220mls water to the boil. Stir in the buckwheat and turn down the heat to very low. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes. Once cooked set aside for a few minutes with the lid on, then spread on a plate and leave to cool.
- Put the lemon skin in a small pan with the olive oil. On a medium heat gently fry until the skin starts to bubble. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once the rice and buckwheat are both cool, mix them together in a large bowl. Add the garlic, cranberries, hazelnuts and spring onions. Remove the lemon skin from the oil and pour the oil over the rice. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Finally, stir through the fresh herbs and rocket. Enjoy on its own or as a delicious side dish.