Thank you to my colleague Carin for this delicious granola recipe. Its packed with goodness and superior in taste (and nutrition of course) to most bought granolas!
2.5 cups oats (large, gluten free)
50mls each of maple syrup and olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly grated ginger (if you freeze it first it grates easier)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raw nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans)
50g sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup raisins or currents
2-3 large handfuls coconut flakes
2 Tbsp cocoa nibs
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C (fan oven).
- Mix all the ingredients well (apart from the coconut flakes and cocoa nibs) in a large bowl.
- Spread the mixture on a large oven tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut flakes and bake for a further 10minutes or until crunchy and lightly golden (this may depend on your oven).
- Once the granola is cool, add the cocoa nibs and store in an airtight jar. Goes well with Greek yoghurt for added protein and fresh berries.